Christmas is fast approaching, and if you’re a federal government worker, you can cash in on the savings by clicking the company and retailer links listed below. Remember also that one of the best approaches to saving money this holiday season is simply to inquire if a discount is available. Even if the answer is “no”, you’ve taken the initiative and possibly avoided missing out on a great deal that would have otherwise gone unnoticed. Here’s another added bonus – do all of your online shopping through a cashback website like Ebates and you’ll earn money for everything you buy online.
Save on Electronics and Technology
Do you have a techno gadget enthusiast in your family? Here are some awesome specials on computers, software, and smartphones:
- Apple – The Apple Store offers reduced prices for government employees on their many desktop and portable computer systems.
- Dell – Federal government officials can receive valuable discounts through the company’s Employee Purchase Program.
- Hewlett Packard (HP) – By using their Employee Purchase Program, federal employees will receive up to 35% off and free shipping on all HP products.
- Microsoft – As a government worker, you can buy Microsoft software at greatly reduced prices through their Home Use Program.
- Sprint – Military and federal employees can get 15% off Sprint and Nextel’s wide selection of devices.
- Verizon – Veterans and federal employees receive a 15% discount.
Save on Gifts
There are a host of retailers who offer federal employee discounts, although most of them don’t advertise these reductions to the general public. Some of them include:
- 1-800-Flowers.com – By using a special promotional code during the checkout process, active and retired military service members can receive 20% off select baskets and bouquets.
- Bass Pro Shops – On the 15th of every month, Bass Pro Shops hosts their “Military Discount Days”, where active and retired military personnel earn a 10% discount with a valid photo ID.
- com – US Government and military officials can send a gift basket overseas for 10% less by presenting their ID.
- Home Depot – Home Depot offers competitive prices and low-cost delivery options to all government and military employees at more than 2,000 of their locations.
- Lowe’s – Lowe’s offers a 10% discount at thousands of participating stores.
Save on Travel
Many well-known travel industry chains offer savings to military and federal employees, so if your plan is to visit family and friends during the upcoming holidays, take advantage of the following rewards from these major travel companies:
- Best Western International – All military personnel and state and federal employees receive lower hotel rates with Best Western. Canada is also included.
- Castle Resorts (Hawaii) – This hotel chain has a variety of discounts for retired military members and all county, state, and government workers.
- Choice Hotels – This hotel chain offers lower room rates to federal and foreign government employees and military personnel.
- Disneyland and Walt Disney World – You can find many price reductions for military personnel when you stay at one of the Disney resorts, including lower park ticket prices and discounted rooms. All you need is a valid military ID.
- Hilton Hotels & Resorts – With the Hilton’s Military Family Rate, active and retired military members can receive 10% off any leisure stay. Federal and state employees also receive reduced rates.
- La Quinta Inn & Suites – Are you a current or former military member or the spouse of one? Ask about the Returns Military Reward program, which can help you save 12% in room costs.
- Marriott Hotels – Discounted federal, state, and local government rates are available at over 4,000 Marriot Hotels worldwide.
- Red Lion Hotels – Participating locations offer up to 30% in savings for active military members, and government employees can receive a lower rate at their Washington D.C. hotel.
- Red Roof Inn – Government workers save 20% at any Red Roof Inn across the nation.
- Wyndham Hotels & Resorts – Active duty military members and government employees earn discounted rates at participating hotels worldwide.
- American Airlines – Military officials and their spouse and dependents can receive up to five free checked bags when flying on orders and up to three free checked bags when not flying on orders.
- Delta – This airline offers several advantages for active military personnel, including vacation discounts, travel discounts, free checked luggage, and free pet travel.
- JetBlue – Active and retired military personnel, veterans, and their families receive a 5% discount with JetBlue’s Veteran’s Advantage program. This includes travel to more than 80 destinations, such as South America and the Caribbean.
- United Airlines – United is another airline that offers a 5% discount through the Veteran’s Advantage program. They also check extra baggage free of charge.
- Alamo – Alamo gives discounted business and leisure travel rates and no additional driver fees to all active and retired government and military employees.
- Avis – Through the Veteran’s Advantage program, military personnel can receive up to 25% in discounts.
- Budget – Government and military travelers save 25% off Budget’s base rates for personal rentals.
- Dollar – Government officials can enjoy competitive government rates, unlimited mileage, and many other benefits with Dollar car rental.
- Enterprise – Founded by Jack Taylor, a fighter pilot in WWII, Enterprise has supported military personnel for decades.
- E-Z Rental Car – Military and government officials can receive a 10% discount on E-Z’s rental cars by using a special promotional coupon listed on their website.
- Hertz – Discounted rates are provided to military and government workers when booking leisure car rentals through Hertz.
- Hyundai USA – If you’re shopping for a new vehicle this holiday season – or anytime – Hyundai has a special payment deferral program for federal employees.
- Thrifty – This car rental company offers numerous perks for government and military personnel, and they are another provider with the Veteran’s Advantage program.
- Volkswagen – Federal civil service personnel can apply for payment assistance through one of Volkswagen’s many VW Credit programs.